Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Creamed Cucumber Salad

My great grandmother made this all the time, and it is awesome. However, I made this and it turned out wiggety wack. I don't know what I did wrong, because I am making it exactly the way she did, but I think she forgot to tell me a vital ingredient or something. Anyway, here's the recipe and also a better one that I'm going to try next, because it looks like it would taste closer to my grandmother's version. She grew up in the Depression and probably started substituting Miracle Whip for the sour cream, since that would have been much cheaper and readily available to her in the city. I used Fat Free Miracle Whip, so that might have been the problem too.

My grandmother's version (maybe)

Three cucumbers, peeled and sliced thin
Splash of vinegar
Dash of salt
Sugar
Miracle Whip
Dill weed
Thinly sliced white onion rings

Pour vinegar and salt over cucumbers and chill in the refrigerator. In another bowl, mix together a little sugar and a few spoonfuls of Miracle Whip and thin with the liquid that comes out of the cucumbers. Toss with cucumbers, onion and dill. Chill before serving.


The Next One I'm Trying

3 cucumbers
1 sm. onion
1 oz. cider vinegar (I'll probably use Rice, because I like it better)
10 oz. sour cream (I'll use creme fraiche or fat free sour cream)
1/2 tsp. sugar
Pinch salt
Pinch pepper

Peel and slice cucumbers into wheels. Cream and slice onions into small strips. Add vinegar, sour cream, sugar, salt and pepper together; mix well. Stir in cucumbers and onions. Let set for 2 hours prior to serving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home